Thursday, February 19, 2015

Out for an adventure...Railroads

     For my blog post this week I am posting my opinion about Riding the Rails, a video we watched in English. It was really quite interesting.
     Life in the 1930s for everyone was rough, many families were desperate and the teenagers were tired. Some teenagers went on the trains for and adventure, others were running away from home due to dysfunctional families and others were traveling for a job so they could send money back home.   There was a 72year old man still riding the railways. One black man was riding the railways back into Louisiana and the authorities were looking for a black man matching the description of this teen. The alleged culprit was black so the conductor kicked the kid off the train. The man later remarked that being kicked off the train saved his life. There were so many migrants  coming to California that for 6 weeks there were not migrants allowed to go to California. I liked the personal stories about what made the teens so desperate to pick up and leave. I did not like that California closed its doors that is TOTALLY unconstitutional. I loved hearing what made the teenagers want to pick up and leave just like that. I loved comparing their mentality to the mentality to teenagers today. I loved hearing how riske and how on the edge these teenagers were. I loved the compare and contrast with our world and theirs back then.

No comments:

Post a Comment